1965 The Spark
Concern about the impact of Urban Renewal on the historic fabric of Kingston was the spark that ignited a group of people to form the Friends of Historic Kingston in 1965. Since its founding, FHK has led preservation efforts in the City of Kingston.
1969 A Landmark Year
Through FHK’s advocacy and groundwork, the City of Kingston established the Historic Landmarks Preservation Commission.
As the result of research and sponsorship by FHK, the first of Kingston’s four Historic Districts – the Stockade National Historic District – was designated. See Preservation: The FHK Story and Stockade National Historic District.
1970 Landmarking of Buildings and Sites Begins
The Friends began an effort that is ongoing to protect buildings and sites of historical significance in the city by having them listed as landmarks on the National, State and Local Registers of Historic Places. See Preservation: The FHK Story.
1972 FHK Launches Revolving Preservation Fund
To save Kingston’s oldest surviving clapboard house from demolition, the Friends bought, restored and resold the Dr. Luke Kiersted House at 95 John St. Since then, the Friends have similarly rescued three other threatened houses of architectural and historical significance. See Success Stories.
1975 FHK Buys Historic Ruins
The Friends purchased the ruins of the 17th century Louw-Bogardus house near the northwest corner of the 1658 stockade and began an ongoing project to stabilize the building and maintain landscape. See Preservation: The FHK Story and Work in Progress.
1976 FHK Launches Campaign to Save 1875 City Hall
1977 FHK Restores Second House
1979 FHK Restores Third House
1993 FHK Gains c. 1812 John Sudam House
Fred J. Johnston, a nationally noted antiques dealer and ardent preservationist, bequeaths his historic residence to FHK to be maintained as a museum. See Preservation: The FHK Story and The Fred J. Johnston Museum.
1995 FHK Assumes Care and Restoration of Sharp’s Burying Ground
1997 FHK Opens the Fred J. Johnston Museum
1999 FHK Restores Fourth House
2000 Friends of Historic Kingston Museum Opens
After renovating the building used by Fred J. Johnston as an antiques shop, FHK opened a second museum featuring exhibits relating to local history and heritage on May 5, 2000.
See Preservation: The FHK Story, the Friends of Historic Kingston Museum and Virtual Exhibits.
2003 FHK Launches Major Publication
Kingston New York: The Architectural Guide, authored by Dr. William B. Rhoads, Professor Emeritus, Art History, SUNY New Paltz, appears. See Annual Exhibit.
2004 Images of America: Kingston Published
A 128-page pictorial essay on Kingston compiled by City Historian and longtime FHK Board Member Edwin. M Ford is published. See Publications.
2008 FHK Produces George Clinton DVD
An 18-minute documentary on George Clinton, New York’s first elected governor, was produced by FHK and premiered at our annual meeting. See For Educators.
2010 FHK Produces Exhibit on Kingston Street Names
Years of research compiled by longtime FHK Board Member and City of Kingston Historian Edwin M. Ford on how Kingston streets got their name is presented as an exhibit in the Friends of Historic Kingston Museum Gallery. See Press Releases and Friends of Historic Kingston Museum.